It's not Happy people who are Thankful; It's Thankful people who are Happy.

Monday, June 2, 2008

The Tale of the Thumb Sucker


Recently Derek has found his thumb and he likes it a lot, for quite a while I would just pull it out of his mouth everytime I saw him sucking it, and then the real challenge happened. I started hearing him sucking on it through the monitor in the middle of the night. I kept trying and trying all I could to keep it out of his mouth but somehow it seemed it only made it worse. I had gotten to the point mentally that I had decided that it was a lost cause and I would worry about it when he got older. Then I decided something had to change because he was sucking on his thumb so hard he was starting to develop sores on his thumbs and hands. I honestly didn’t know that it was possible for a 3 month old to do such a thing. I decided that I had to enlist some help so I called the nurse to see what I could put on his hands to help them heal faster. She told me that all that I could do was bandage up his hands and keep socks or gloves on his hands. Oh sad, it is summer time and my son is in shorts and socks up to his elbows. I still haven’t taken pictures of it yet but don’t worry we will.

2 comments:

Nancy Seaman said...

You go Derek!! I wouldn't want your family missing all the fun of trying to break the habit before you start high school. You and Sammie can share when you come to visit.

The Sauls Family said...

That picture is priceless! LOL