It's not Happy people who are Thankful; It's Thankful people who are Happy.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Potty Training

So this past weekend we started potty training Derek.  We knew that there was a chance that he might not be quite ready yet, but with Corey laid off an at home all day we decided that this was the best chance that we had.  So we started, by the way nobody warns you that it is an expensive adventure, the potty training  chair, underwear, pull-ups, potty treats add up quickly.  We started last Saturday morning and by noon we had been through 6 pairs of underwear and I thought that this just wasn't going to happen.  All of sudden by some miracle he was able to go in the potty chair and something clicked.  This something was us figuring out Derek's terminology, first he didn't call it going potty he called it water sprinkler, now he uses both phrases.  We by all means aren't finished, and we still have to get Derek over his fear of the "big" potty but he is kind of there.  He will tell us when he has to go, and he will run in the bathroom all by himself and to his duty.  It really is so cute, but most importantly it got me realizing that my baby is no longer my baby.  He is wearing underwear (which by the way has to be pinned in the back otherwise they won't stay on his cute little bum) and just growing up.  He is so proud of himself and loves to get his potty treats. I have to admit if I knew that I wouldn't get in trouble and he wouldn't hate me for the rest of his life, I would so take a picture and post it because it is just to funny watching him sit there just waiting to go potty, or a picture from the back with his underwear safety pinned up.   I love this little kid and well he just makes me laugh.  Go figure we finally got things started and Corey was given the opportunity for some temporary work, until a permanent job comes around.  We are so happy for the job, but I should have known that as soon as we started something was going to change, so everyone cross their fingers and pray that this really sticks, so we don't have to go through this again.

2 comments:

Nancy Seaman said...

I've just got to know what treats you are giving him for his reward.

Corey and Nikki Preston said...

He gets one little skittle or Mike and Ike's and he thinks that he is so cool. I rarely give him candy.