Lester Franklin Preston
January 14, 1954-August 19, 2004
Today is the 6th Anniversary of Corey's dad, Les, passing away. I never got a chance to meet him, but I sure would have liked to. I remember however this day very vividly. I remember calling Corey that night, I had a very distinct impression that I needed to call him all day and sadly I kept pushing it off because I had other things going on. Eventually I gave in to those promptings to call him, and I heard that terrible news. Les had died of a massive heart attack. Corey told me that he had been at work at the Camilla Fire Department when he got the call. He of course hurriedly raced to his father's side who had been asking for him. Unfortunately, by the time Corey had driven the hour drive to the hospital his father was already gone. I (Nikki) remember talking to him that night as he was driving with his friends back to Camilla to take care of a few things. I remember how shocked I was, but yet how grateful I was that I had finally followed that prompting. That night Corey and I talked for hours, and honestly at this point in his life he really just needed a mormon friend to talk too (that wasn't a family member). Just in case any of you are wondering, at this point of Corey's and I relationship we were just friends that would talk every once in a while, however, this night changed everything, our relationship changed from being casual friends to becoming best friends (how lucky am I that I got to marry my best friend). I know during the last several years of Les's life, Corey and Les's relationship had been strained, but I'm so proud of Corey deciding years ago that he was going to forgive and forget. Corey talks often about the great times he had with his dad, and those memories that he wants to pass on to Derek. These memories include, hunting, fishing, and monster trucks, all of which Corey still loves, and Derek is already learning to love. I've included a few photos of Les these were from back when Corey was a baby, and even before he born. Needless to say I Love Les, he is my husband's father, and because of everything that happened whether good or bad, he helped make Corey the great man that he is today.
Corey and Les
Corey and I have a picture like this in front of the Preston, Idaho city limit sign.



2 comments:
lets face it, i have the most amazing wife, one who just gets me because she is the angel that was sent to me.
I have so many great memories of Uncle Les. He used to grab me and tickle my neck with his mustache (Aunt Carol said I used to call it his "nosestache"). David and I were just talking about him a few weeks ago. I have the cutest picture of him holding Isabella when she a baby. Whenever I think about him, I miss him. He ouwld have adored Derek.
Post a Comment