Jacob Mark Preston was born on Monday May 20, 2013 at 9:30 am. This was such a whirlwind of a day.
The night before I went to my parents house and had my Dad and wonderful husband give me a blessing. I remember thinking how lucky I was to have these two wonderful Priesthood holders in my life. They truly made me feel calm, I was starting to get a little nervous about the whole thing. You have to remember that it had been 5 years since I last had a kid, I feel like a brand new mom all over again.
The Day started out a 4am wake-up call. We were told to be at the hospital at 5am and well I was determined that I was going to get a shower and feel at least clean before we went. This was a scheduled c-section as I didn't want a repeat of Derek's birth story. I was so big and I can tell you that if it wasn't for the fact that we had just bought our first house and were working our tails off to get everything put together I would have been doing anything possible to get this baby out much much earlier than the week early that we were scheduled for. I knew this baby was going to be big, and was prepared for him to be bigger than Derek was (9lbs 6oz). But I was not prepared for what was about to happen.
This morning the doctor was about two hours late so I just waited in the labor and delivery room being monitored and also being told that is was probably a good thing that I was having this baby now, because I was having some pretty strong contractions and if it hadn't already been scheduled it probably would have happened within the next 24 hours anyways. I remember from Derek's birth how much I loved the anesthesiologist, well this was not the case this time. The doctor finally arrived and they had me walk back to the operating room, this was really a weird feeling. I just felt weird walking back to a room where I knew they were about to cut me open and my baby would just poof be here, not much work or fuss. The anesthesiologist came in and administered my Spinal Block and that was really quite painful. I remember thinking to myself this thing is suppose to make me feel nothing and right now I hurt a lot. It finally kicked in a little bit and then everything started. I was prepped for surgery and Corey was brought in his little blue jump suit. Everything started and it seemed as though everything went without a hitch. Jake was born at 9:30 am 10 lbs 13 oz and I remember having tears running down my face as I heard my baby cry for the first time. Corey went to the baby warmer and came and told me that he was perfect and then told me how much he weighed "Really" was all I could say, I was shocked really there was an almost 11 pound baby inside of me, no wonder I was so uncomfortable. But I could hear him cry and it was such a good sound. Corey left with Jake, and I was still in the Operating Room while the finished everything up. This is when things got a little hard for me. I started to feel things happening I could feel them closing up and my pain was starting to get worse and worse. I told the Anesthesiologist that it was really beginning to hurt, he didn't listen much and I was told this was just pressure all I could think to myself was "I hate you" I hurt and you aren't helping. They finally finished closing me up and then they moved me to a hospital bed and I thought I was going to scream, I was so proud of myself though I just quietly cried. As they wheeled me down the hallway all I could do was bite my lip every time they hit a bump, I was really in so much pain. Corey came into the room and noticed that something was really wrong and started telling the hospital staff that I was in real pain and they needed to get it under control. It started just worse and worse for me, they gave me more Morphine but that only seemed to make me more nauseous. Finally I told Corey I needed a blessing or I wasn't going to get through this. He called our old home teacher Joe Prior who happened to work at the hospital. He has been a dear friend and Corey and him had become great friends. It wasn't uncommon for him to tease me about my growing belly as I was getting further along in my pregnancy and for some reason I was OK with Joe doing that. He told us later that he was walking to my room fully prepared with a couple of jabs until he walked in and saw my face and new it wasn't the time. He could see the pain on my face. He immediately turned to Corey and told him lets do this. They laid their hands on my head (that hurt too), I honestly don't remember anything that was said in that blessing, all I remember was the feeling afterward of this will go away and I will be Ok. They eventually were able to get my pain under control with a couple doses of Demorayl. Because of all the pain medicine I don't remember much about that day, you would have to talk to Corey if you wanted more details.
I was so lucky to have such sweet nurses who made me feel comfortable and helped me so much. By the end of the day I was feeling much better, even up and walking. However, I'm not sure that I'm ready to go through that experience anytime soon again. Here are some pictures of that day.
 |
| Boy did he have a set of lungs! He was mad at the world and anyone who touched him. |
 |
| Corey had to take a picture of the scale because no one believed him at how big he really was. |
 |
| Jake came out a pretty blue so he got to have a resting time in the incubator with some extra oxygen. |
 |
| He soon pinked up, and the nurses gave him his nickname of "Big Jake" |
 |
| Getting all cleaned up |
 |
| Man this is really a big baby |
 |
| His feet were so big that they barely fit on paper |
 |
| This baby decided early that he loved to be swaddled and still loves it now, in fact that is the only way he will really go to sleep. |
 |
| Derek was so excited to meet his new baby brother. Thanks to Eileen Seaman for the cute shirt, everyone at the hospital loved it. |
 |
| Grandma Carol with baby Jake |
3 comments:
Congrats, you guys! That's wonderful! Sorry it was a bit of a rough go, but I'm glad it ended well. And Grandma Carol looks like she is loving it! Happy for you guys!
Oh my goodness! I cannot believe you had an almost 11 pound baby! You are AMAZING! And I'm so sorry about the C-section pain! What a survivor! Congrats on your cute, healthy, big baby boy!
Oh my goodness! I cannot believe you had an almost 11 pound baby! You are amazing! And I'm so sorry about the painful C-section experience. But congrats on the healthy, happy, darling, BIG baby boy!
Post a Comment