I did not know what the significance of fathers and sons in may was till this year. I just thought that was a convenient time before school got out and schedules got all messed up. Not true. It is because that's when the priesthood was restored. This year after realizing it was almost NOT going to happen, I pestered the right people enough to get some action. And boy am I glad I did. We had a great time doing "guy stuff" and just enjoying the friends and scenery around us.
"We" set up camp and while helping others do the same, had steak, hot dogs, Doritos, and all the soda we could drink. Mom wasn't there right?!
We then went fishing till it was too dark to see. Derek had two on the line. But in an attempt to be a proud dad and get the camera I couldn't hold on to him at the same time and he lost them both. But not his spirit. He wanted more.
We had a wonderful fireside talk by a former Marine and present police officer about the armor of God. It was SO good and I think Derek even likes it.
I guess all the excitement was too much for some people.
He and his buddies then played flashlight tag, in the woods on the side of a mountain.
When it was bedtime we had what I like to call Melchizedek priesthood time. All of us dads sat up till bout 230 just enjoying the quiet an each others company.
The next morning we got up and walked down the hill to find plate sized pancakes, sausage, bacon, orange juice, and coco.
THEN it was all about the fishing again.
I was such a proud dad. My son didn't want me or anyone else to help him cast anymore and I was willing to teach. My son can now casts overhand , underhand, AND sidearm. I can go fishing too now. I still have to bait it for him but he slings his hook all by his self.
Again I'll say it... I love fishing because it is the only sport where you can be actively engaged and fall asleep at the same time.
He was bummed when it was time to go home, but guess who took a great nap that day.
Can't wait for next year!!!








No comments:
Post a Comment