There was lots of work to do, including preparation of the memorial service. We carefully planned a memorial service that would focus on the life of Joe. Joe had only been a member of the church for a few years, but his influence had been enormous on others as well as the Gospel had affected Joe who grew to know his Savior Jesus Christ and the power of repentance well. Corey sent me a note a couple of days ago, that really summed up the purpose of Joe in the short time that he was part of our lives.
"I had a couple of thought the last couple of days as to why Joe was still around and mom still had to take care of him. ... Mainly I believe that she had to take care of him so he was able to stay around a little while to get a bigger testimony to be such a serious spiritual force for all those people who were there at the funeral the other day. I got to thinking about all of the lives whether inside the medical field or out that he been able to touch and be such a driving force for the Gospel for. And then with what Cordell (Carol and Joe's Home Teacher) said at the funeral the other day think of how many people might actually still be thinking about investigating the church now. Basically I think he was here to gain not only his own testimony but to help strengthen those investigators and members alike and so he could be a better missionary on the other side of the veil also. "
This sums up both of our feelings so well. I will greatly miss Joe, he was always on my side, regardless of how far from my side Carol was. We were buddies, he was buddies with Derek and loved him unconditionally. Those two got along so well, that it really shocked us all. Joe was so intelligent and full of useless trivia, to the fact he could annoy you with it if he wanted too. He loved everyone, and even though I only new him for a few short years, and the Joe I knew may not have always been that person, I was glad to know my PaPa Joe, I was grateful for all he taught me whether it was by word, action, or being able to serve him & Carol.
Derek didn't quite understand what was going on, but he does get it that Papa Joe has passed. I guess that is the best we can expect of a four year old. Derek however, was so good, for being such a solemn week, he still managed to bring so many smiles to all of us.
While we were in Wyoming, Joe's son Brian came into town with his family. We had such a wonderful time with them, remembering Joe and just becoming friends as we had never met them before. They had such a sweet spirit with them, and I was so happy to have gotten to know them. Brian reminded me so much of Joe and I definitely think I knew what Joe looked like as a younger man. His daughters and wife were beautiful and very smart you could definitely tell that the apple didn't fall far from the tree. They just loved my Derek and would keep playing with him regardless of how badly they probably didn't want to play anymore.
We met so many wonderful people, which the church family being so incredible, I never had to make a meal for any of us, there was always something being brought over. We were able to help Carol get many of the affairs in order, and we were grateful for the learning experience. We learned a lot about the Gift of the Holy Ghost, he was definitely there helping us cope. The Spirit spoke peace to our hearts, which allowed us to have great, fun memories and be okay with everything that happened. Now I know that for Carol this is going to take a lot of time before she adjusts to this new normal, and I know she will always miss her sweet Joe, but I take great comfort in knowing that he is probably watching over my future children, and helping them prepare to come to our family. I miss you Joe, and will always be grateful you were part of my life!
I didn't take many pictures at the memorial service, I just took them with Carol's camera so I will have to get them from her at a later date.
![]() |
| This was taken just a couple days before he passed, man he looks happy! What a way to go. |

2 comments:
I love this picture. Love it. And Papa Joe. And all of you. Thanks for posting this!
Sorry for your loss. I'll keep your family in my prayers.
Post a Comment