It's not Happy people who are Thankful; It's Thankful people who are Happy.

Monday, November 8, 2010

An Attitude of Gratitude

Recently within the church that I attend there has been an emphasis on gratitude, not only on us as individuals being grateful but also the church leadership being grateful for those who help the work move forward.  Just in case any of you don't know I'm the nursery leader for my ward (this is the LDS term for church congregation for anyone reading this that may not be a member of the LDS Faith.)  And just in case you were wondering it is a little bit of a thankless job.  I'm responsible for 6 leaders and around 24 kids between the ages of 18 months - 3 years, and I absolutely love this job.  These special children are so wonderful and have such an amazing spirit, and I'm not just saying that because Derek is part of this group.  So often as we will be discussing those simple basics truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ they teach me.  They remind me often how simple the church is really suppose to be.  As one of the kids told me a couple of weeks ago, we are just suppose to be good.  Now, if only we actually lived and kept it this way.  It is true, we do just have to be good, and thankfully we have such a perfect example, our Savior, Jesus Christ.  Not only is he a perfect example but I truly believe that he is aware of every one of us, and knows pains, our struggles, and our joys.  I know that through the gift of the Holy Ghost, he will send us a spirit of peace if we will only invite it into our hearts.  Now you may say what does this have to do with nursery, or with being grateful, well here it is.  I'm grateful for wonderful little spirits (that haven't been tainted by the world just yet) that teach me every Sunday that our Heavenly Father loves us.  I see this in their prayers, and them singing the church songs.  I'm grateful for wonderful leaders who help me so much and who without them, I would be one huge failure.  I'm thankful for the leadership above me, who has confidence and trust in me to do what is best for these special kids. 

Several weeks ago I attended a conference where Sister Julie B. Beck spoke, she is the Church Relief Society President which is the Church's Woman's Organization.  She said something that has just stuck with me. She counseled those participating in the conference “you’re doing better than you think you are” but at the same time “we’re not doing as well as we could.”   She also counseled the need to avoid being distracted by things that are nice to do at the expense of things that are most important.  I'm grateful for the reminder that I really am doing pretty good, but that they know that I and we still haven't reached our full potential. 

I'm grateful that yesterday I was able to hear a living Apostle of Jesus Christ speak.  I heard his testimony and felt his spirit, it was a reminder once again how much our Father in Heaven is aware of us.  I'm also so grateful for a wonderful husband who loves me dearly.  Last Friday Corey was laid off again, and this was something that was a total surprise.  When he fulfilled the call from the union hall he was told that they had enough work for at least a year, now two months later they were handing him his pink slip.  I got home from work and Corey gave me the bad news.  We had a pretty quiet dinner.  We had found out that he was number 26 on the out of work list with the union, so I was expecting him to be without work for several weeks, boy was I wrong.  Later that night Corey got a call.  An owner of a small shop had gone in and wanted to basically hand pick his apprentice that he needed.  Because he ran such a small shop he didn't have the luxury of getting someone who would only work half of the time.  He started going through the files of those apprentices who were on the out-of-work list and started going over Corey's.  He asked why he had been let go, because it seemed like he was such a great worker.  He called Corey's latest Foreman and he gave Corey a glowing review and said that he would be stupid not to hire him, so he did.  So within four hours of getting laid off Corey was back at work.  When Corey told me that he had been laid off, I was really getting nervous.  Over the last 2 years Corey and I both have experienced several lay offs and needless to say we have depleted our savings account.  I was wondering how we would make it with out this cushion that hadn't been replenished.  I know my Father in Heaven was aware of us, and I'm grateful for that.  I'm also grateful for an honest, hard working husband who makes it possible for those glowing reviews and the blessing to come because of it.  Needless to say I'm thankful.  I'm thankful for all the wonderful people that are in my life, who keep me going on those down days that we all can experience.  I'm thankful for such great extended family who have always been there and who I know will always be there for us when we need them, even if all that I need is just a hug and a listening ear.  I'm learning more and more that being thankful leads to more blessings which leads to more reasons to be thankful and etc, it is a never ending cycle that I love.
I know this is a long post and I'm sorry, but I just had to publicly share my gratitude. 

2 comments:

Kris and Sam said...

Faith to move mountains...I think you guys have always had it. At least you've always had it when you aren't high on cough syrup...lol. I've been thinking about you a lot lately, like I always do in the late fall/early winter. I guess it's just that the seasons bring me back to wherever I was in Georgia at the same time. What an awesome mission! And that cough syrup business was pretty dang funny. :)

Corey and Nikki Preston said...

I always think about you and Crystal at Thanksgiving time. I will never forget cooking that massive Turkey. However I think it was my favorite Thanksgiving. Thanks for making my last couple weeks of my mission, some of the best what a way to end it, on such a high note. Have a great Thanksgiving.