
So lately I've been thinking about the holidays and how I want them to go. Well as always Corey and I will probably not be getting each other much because we need things like tires, brakes, etc. But honestly that is just fine. This year I'm going to try really hard to create a more Christ Centered Christmas. I want to teach Derek that Christmas just isn't about Santa, and especially where Christmas is on a Sunday really remind him why we have this special Holiday. This year I have purchased a advent nativity Calendar so hopefully Derek will be reminded every day the real reason for Christmas. I'm excited to Decorate my cute little apartment. We are planning on buying a new Christmas tree and of course just having something new to decorate will be fun. I also purchased at the end of Christmas last year an Advent wreath. I was inspired by President Uchtdorf's talk last year when he talked about one of his Catholic traditions growing up. They talked about a wreath that had candles and how every Sunday before Christmas they would light one and then read certain scriptures that pertain to the symbolism of that particular Candle. Obviously I've decided to change it up just a little bit, to be a little more Mormon doctrine based but this is what I came up with 4 gifts that our Savior has given us.
White Candle - The Gift of the Holy Ghost - This gift can truly make all of our lives so much easier if we will only head his promptings.
Red Candle - Repentance - the ultimate gift that we can receive from our Savior Jesus Christ.
Green Candle - Eternal Life & Eternal Families - How lucky we are to be together not just for this life for the life hereafter.
White Candle - Peace - we always sing about peace on earth, this may not happen, but we can have peace in our hearts and in our families.
Each Family Home Evening I want to focus on this, I realize that it will be very simplified and will only get more involved as Derek gets older. But I think with a few cookies or treats and some Hot Chocolate this could really be a fun tradition for our family.
I also want him to know why Thanksgiving is special. Honestly Thanksgiving is probably one of my favorite holidays. There is lots of food, fun, and family. I love to just spend time with my family and get to make memories. I hoping to find a fun activity that I can do with the kids to remind them about why and what we are thankful for. So if you have any great miraculous ideas please feel free to pass them on. I really do get a little sad that because of the commercialism of Christmas we have forgotten Thanksgiving and that we have a time to celebrate what we have to be thankful for every year. Every year we get a chance to take a whole day and truly celebrate the blessing that we have. Well I know I have much to be thankful for:
I have a wonderful husband who has worked so hard to provide his family with a loving home. He treats me like a queen regardless of how much money we have, I know that without a doubt he still loves me. He is my rock and I'm so grateful for the worthy priesthood holder that he is and how he teaches me. He has truly lived up to his promise to always make me laugh every day.
I'm grateful for a son who everyday makes me laugh, he is truly a wonderful blessing in my life and I'm so lucky to be his Mom.
I'm so grateful for parents who taught me the gospel, and taught me how to find my own testimony.
I'm thankful for the many wonderful friends who influence me and help me to be a better person by there service to me and by the service that I'm allowed to give to them.
I'm thankful for siblings who are always there when you need them and who can always make me laugh.
Most of all I'm thankful for my Savior Jesus Christ and for the gift of repentance because this allows me to be a little bit better person every single day.
No comments:
Post a Comment